noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Knucklehead of the Day award

Today's winner is the Florida Lottery Commission. They get the award for the following.

OCALA, Fla. -- A Florida couple said they have a winning lottery ticket and they want their money, but the Florida Lottery Commission isn't paying.

Ocala resident Joe Curcio said he thought he hit the jackpot on a scratch-off ticket that shows a prize of $500,000.

When he tried to claim his prize, he received nothing at the lottery office.

Curcio said he bought a legitimate lottery ticket at a rest stop on the Florida Turnpike in Fort Drum. But the state said the ticket had a misprint on it.

Curcio and his family said it's not their fault the ticket has a misprint and that he should be paid what he's owed.

"A deal's a deal," Curcio said.

"I believe there's something wrong with the lottery," his wife, Annemarie, said. "If I make a mistake in anything, I say, 'Listen, I made a mistake. I'm going to eat the mistake. I owe these people. I'm going to pay these people.' That's the way we are and I expect that from the state of Florida, too."

The lottery said it prints about 550 million tickets per year and there is the possibility of a misprint.

There are manual, computer and visual checks of tickets submitted for prizes, and the lottery said it uses various layers of security.

The Lottery Commission said tickets are printed with a warning that all winnings are subject to verification.
There should now be a warning posted saying the Florida Lottery is a ripoff. What is going to be cheaper- Pay the $500,000 or the lost sales and possible costs if the Curcios decide to constest this in court. You have to begin to wonder about state lotteries if they aren't a state run con game, click here for an example from Indiana. Maybe I should put a new thing in the sidebar- Florida the Ripoff State. In the meantime I make The Florida Lottery Commission today's Knucklehead of the Day.

Linked to- Bright & Early, Jo, Morewhat, Outside the Beltway, Pirate's Cove, Random Yak, StikNstein, Third World County, The World According to Carl,

Labels: , ,

 
Listed on BlogShares