noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Designed by idiots to be run by geniuses

I'm going to vent on some computer/chess problems I'm having at the moment. What is happening right now just astounds me.

Here is an earlier blog post I wrote. I been having PC problems for almost two weeks. One of my most important programs I use(at least as far as my correspondence chess is concerned) is something called Chess Assistant 8. It's a chess database program. Good for chess opening play(this kind of assistance is legal under CC rules. Its like a big opening book) and for keeping a database of your games.

I love Chess Assistant for the most part. The first time I used it was back in 2001 and I couldn't do CC without it. That said, I have a major gripes with the company that designs it. They are-

1- The lack of customer service. Every inquiry I've made to Convetka has gone unanswered.

That's small compared to my big gripe.

2- Any database I make can't be copied to disk so as to transfer it to another PC.

What a royal pain in the ass this is. What piece of horse bleep designs a database that can't be copied? It just boggles my mind and I been living through this nightmare for two weeks. I have 1,031 games saved on my malfunctioning and dying desktop. First I tried to copy it to CD. It copied but when I tried to open it on my laptop I get an error message. This is just great.

Now the CA database file is corrupting. Games are disappearing or becoming gibberish. I tried to get around this by printing all my games. It got to game 773 and stopped. The database file won't go further because of the corruption. That leaves me hand inputing all these games into my laptop.

No fun at all. If you wonder if the corruption is why I can't copy the database to disk, no it isn't. I tried copying the good database off my laptop in a test. It didn't open.

All this for something like $100. Didn't anyone ever hear of computer crashes or did no one think a person would store thousands of their games in a CA database? Convetka isn't talking, I'm just guessing it is incompetence. If I could find out who designed this mess, I'd give him a knucklehead award.

Open Post- Basil's Blog, Bright & Early, Cao's Blog,

 
Listed on BlogShares