noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Good choice

President Bush has chosen John Roberts to suceed William Rehnquist as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

"It is fitting that a great chief justice be followed in office by a person who shared his deep reverence for the Constitution, his profound respect for the Supreme Court and his complete devotion to the cause of justice," Bush said from the White House, with the judge by his side.

"I am honored and humbled by the confidence that the president had shown in me," Roberts said.

"And I'm very much aware that, if I am confirmed, I would succeed a man that I deeply respect and admire, a man who has been very kind to me for 25 years."

Roberts accepted the offer in a meeting with Bush on Monday morning, a senior administration official said.

This is a good choice. Judge Roberts is only 51, and has the chance to lead the court for thirty years.

As to O'Connor's sucessor, I think it should be one of the five people I list below-

Janice Rogers Brown
Edith Jones
Emilio Garza
Michael McConnell
Edith Clement

Since O'Connor was only one of two women on the court, I'm guessing it will come down to Brown, Jones, or Clement. I've made it known before in earlier blog posts that I like Janice Rogers Brown. Dare the Democrats to fillibuster a black woman for the Supreme Court.

Update- Captain Ed agrees with me and for much of the same reasons. Does that make just the two of us?

 
Listed on BlogShares