noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Earl Woods Dead at 74

The father of Tiger Woods passed away from cancer today. RIP. God bless Tiger and his family.

Also expressing condolences- Iowa Voice
Open Post- Cao's Blog, Basil's Blog, Bright & Early, Adam's Blog,

Earl Woods, who was more determined to raise a good son than a great golfer and became the role model, architect and driving force behind Tiger Woods' phenomenal career, died Wednesday morning at his home. He was 74.

Earl Woods first was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1998, but the cancer returned in 2004 and spread to other parts of his body. He has not seen his son play since Woods won his Target World Challenge in December 2004 at Sherwood Country Club.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply," Tiger Woods said on his Web site. "I'm overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend. I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring."

He went to Augusta, Ga., for The Masters last year, but never made it to the course. Woods broke down in tears after winning his fourth green jacket in a playoff.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply."

"Every year that I've been lucky enough to win this tournament, my dad's been there to give me a big hug. And today, he wasn't there," Woods said. "I can't wait to get home and see him, and give him a big bear hug."

Earl Woods' health was said to be deteriorating over the holidays, and he was not strong enough to attend the grand opening Feb. 10 of the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif. Woods said he spoke to his father the night before the opening, and "he kept telling me how proud he was of what I was able to do, and proud of me for thinking of this. It's hard on all of us."

Earl Woods was a retired Army sergeant who was credited by his son for developing a mental tenacity that led to Tiger Woods' ascension to No. 1 in the golf world.

"All of us at the PGA Tour are very saddened to learn of the passing of Tiger Woods' father, Earl. Our hearts and deepest sympathies go out to Tiger and his family during this very sad time," PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement. "Earl Woods will always be remembered for the tremendous way in which he and Tiger's mother, Kultida, provided Tiger with every opportunity to develop the physical and mental qualities that enabled Tiger to become the world's best golfer and an outstanding representative of the game and its values."

 
Listed on BlogShares