noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Miami or New Orleans?

That's the choice Drew Brees has come down to according to today's Palm Beach Post. The ex-San Diego Charger QB says he will make his decision soon.

A choice between the Dolphins and Saints should be a simple one- Miami. Just look at the track record of the two teams, it isn't even close. My guess is money is the issue for Brees and if news reports are correct, Miami could lose. The Saints are supposedly willing to beat any other team's offer.

I won't begrudge Brees for taking the money. Pro athletes have a limited time to cash their ability in. They have to plan not just for today but their future after the NFL. I just have one warning for Brees. No contract in the NFL is set in stone. Today's multi million contract is 2008's salary cut victim.

Open Post- Is it Just me?, Bright & Early,

With offers extended by both the Miami Dolphins and the New Orleans Saints, free-agent quarterback Drew Brees said Sunday night he plans to spend the rest of his career with one of the two teams. He expects to make a call quickly.

"Obviously, I want to make the decision as soon as I'm ready to, which should be pretty soon," Brees said Sunday night. "It's a process. We're just working out a compromise. Both sides have been in discussions, and they'll continue to talk."

Brees arrived in South Florida Sunday afternoon after spending all day Saturday and part of Sunday meeting with the Saints in New Orleans. Joined by his wife, Brittany, Brees had dinner with Dolphins coach Nick Saban, general manager Randy Mueller and team owner Wayne Huizenga in Fort Lauderdale.

"I'm very impressed," Brees said. "Everyone's goal is to win a championship, and I feel flattered that they think I'm the guy that can lead them to that. I believe that I can, as well."

Brees will meet with the Dolphins at the training facility again today, where the team will evaluate his shoulder. Brees is rehabilitating from a torn labrum and a partially torn rotator cuff.

"Everybody has all the information they could have, from MRIs to X-rays to pictures of me during rehab," Brees said. "You can look at it, and I'm not afraid to show anybody anything. To me, it's a non-issue."

Brees said he hadn't yet picked a front-runner between the teams.

"Honestly, I'm being very objective," he said. "I'm meeting everyone that I can, and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

"I've been impressed with everybody I've met, from Mr. Huizenga to coach Saban to (offensive coordinator) Mike Mularkey to (quarterbacks coach) Jason Garrett. It's just been first class all the way."

Shortly after arriving in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, Brees had little time before dinner with the Dolphins' executives. However, today will be more involved with much deeper discussions.

"I've got big plans for (today)," Brees said. "I'm going over to the facility, talking with the coaches a little bit, talking a little football. It's just a time to get to know each other. It's wild. I'm having fun with the whole process, but it's a little stressful at the same time."

The courting has been such a whirlwind, actually, that Brees never noticed the name of the restaurant where he dined.

"To be honest, I was so focused on getting to know everybody and learning about the organization and the city and the tradition that I don't even know what restaurant we were at," he said.

Discussions between Mueller and Brees' agent, Tom Condon, are also expected to heat up today. Whatever happens, though, Brees said he doesn't want to rush his decision, but also doesn't want it to drag on, either.

"I'm making a decision to join a team that I'm going to be with for the rest of my career. That's the way I look at it. I plan on winning a bunch of championships, raising a family and making it home wherever we go."

"Miami has been first class all the way, and I'm very impressed."

 
Listed on BlogShares