noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Friday, July 01, 2005

How TV Land butchered a TV Movie Classic

Last night the television network TVLand ran the 1983 post apocalypse movie The Day After. This movie was one of highest rated TV films ever when it was first broadcast.

I didn't watch the movie when it was first aired but saw it uncut on HBO about five to ten years ago. Yesterday thanks to Lashawn Barber I learned the movie was being re-aired. Not sure if I could stay up till eleven, I set my VCR but tuned in for the beginning of the movie.

The movie only runs 127 minutes but was 180 minute time slot. That leaves TV Land plenty of time for commercials etc. But still they managed to slice up the movie. Why? I think they saw the movie as too violent. Yes a TV movie as too violent. The scenes of what happened to people when the nuclear bombs started going off was hacked to pieces. I remember the movie from prior viewings, there were scenes of people becoming skeletons before getting vaporized. This was all gone from last night's showing. This of course plays havoc with the movie's plot, since you don't know what happened to characters.

It was so unnessary. Just label the movie TV Land, and you did this. It's shameful how you sliced this movie up. Why bother even showing it?

 
Listed on BlogShares