noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

A rare chess post

My favorite hobby is chess. As of this moment I am playing 151 Correspondence chess games. Either by email or postcard.

The largest Chess organization in the US is The US Chess Federation. I have been a member of this organization since 1973 and been playing CC since 1974. I haven't played Over the board competitively in 20 years.

Sadly the USCF has been in decline of late. Mostly because of poor management. This organization has gotten into debt for millions of dollars. They have of late been trying to save money and have been sucessfull. They have moved their Headquarters from upstate New York to Tennessee. Corr. Chess was outsourced to Alex Dunne(For a while it was threatened with elimination and I was active in fighting this from happening) and tighter financial controls have been put in place.

Still the organization needs to keep their present focus. Four board seats are up at the moment and one of the people running, Bill Goichberg while well intended was involved in the financial debacle that occured at the USCF. One year they were unable to hold the National championships because of this. The organization doesn't need more of this.

I cast my votes today- Robert Tanner, Greg Shahade and two write-ins, Jim Eade and Frank Camarata. Frank and Jim are former board members. If any of my readers out there are USCF voting members, please vote for these four people. We want chess to continue in this country.

 
Listed on BlogShares