noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Monday, March 09, 2009

It's raining, It's pouring

Meet Kazuya Yamazaki.

A 13-year-old boy passed the weather forecaster certificate exam, it was announced Friday.

At 13 years and 7 months, Kazuya Yamazaki, of Yokohama, is the youngest candidate to ever pass the test, which has been held 31 times since 1994.

Yamazaki, a first-year student at Eiko Gakuen Middle School in Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, has been interested in meteorology since he was a small child, and first sat the exam as a fifth-grader in primary school.

The most recent exam was his fourth try. This round saw 272 out of 4,329 candidates pass the test--a pass rate of 6.3 percent.

Yamazaki spent about a month preparing for the latest exam, dedicating about an hour a day to studying. "I'm surprised I passed. I wasn't sure I would. It hasn't really sunk in yet, but I'm happy," Yamazaki said.

The previous record for the youngest successful exam-taker was a boy aged 14 years and 1 month in his second year of middle school in Nishinomiya, Hyogo Prefecture.

I wish the young man good luck in his future job. Will he come to South Florida and replace the local weather guessers who think a puddle in Port St. Lucie is breaking news?

Labels: , ,

 
Listed on BlogShares