noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to get skin cancer 101

A new type of class being taught in the United Kingdom. From the Daily Telegraph-

The new parity has been brought about by the Government relaxing the rules to allow schools and colleges to count practical qualifications obtained by students along with A-Levels and GCSEs in their league rankings.

It means that a merit in an ITEC diploma in "tanning treatments", for which students are taught how to operate sunbeds and apply fake tan without streaks over 72 hours, is worth 45 points in school league tables. This is equal to an A grade in one of the six units that make up an A-level in a subject such as maths.
I didn't know math was plural but who am I to criticize a member of the media.(Cue the sarcastic laughter)

Did anyone in Great Britain who approved tanning courses, know that the use of tanning beds increases the risk for skin cancer by seventy-five percent? I did, because as I write I'm fighting a battle with Stage IV malignant melanoma. The dangers of tanning beds has been known for a decade at least, and it is easily researched on the internet. If any education should be going on, it is not to use those potentially deadly devices.

The bigger point I'll make, is why is how to use a tanning bed being taught in school in the first place? Before you answer my question read what the above article also mentions

Courses in cake decoration, pottery and flower-arranging also attract similar points values.
At least those activities in theory could be put to use careerwise. As Joanne Jacobs asks-

"That self-tanning course will prepare students for . . . unemployment?"
Yes unemployed British can use this skill after being laid off. Absolutely!

Joanne also says-

Whenever I think the U.S. education system is nuts, the Brits make me feel like we're not so bad.
There are many degrees of nuttiness. If you aren't a reader of Joanne Jacobs already, I suggest you do. She is probably the best education blogger out there and I frequently hat tip here.

Labels: , , ,

 
Listed on BlogShares