noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Here take my shoes

Don't faint, but I like Broward County Judge Jeffrey Levenson.

FORT LAUDERDALE , Fla. — Flip-flops are not acceptable in Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson's courtroom. So he lent his loafers to a defendant who would have had to take the stand in his jailhouse sandals.

Michael Fernandez, 22, was mistakenly brought to his trial Tuesday on cocaine-trafficking charges in his jail uniform, said defense attorney Jim Lewis.

Deputies eventually delivered Fernandez's court clothes, but his shoes were still missing. Levenson then offered his own shoes to wear during testimony.

"He took off his black loafers and said, 'Use these,'" Lewis said. "And sure enough, they were just about a perfect fit."

Levenson said he didn't give it much thought.

"I take great pains to ensure that the defendant's custody status is not disclosed," the judge said. "I just wanted to make sure he was covered. I guess I didn't really think about it, I just acted."

Jurors acquitted Fernandez. He was released from jail later that day, but was still in the flip-flops, Lewis said
A Judge who will lend a criminal defendant his loafers gets the seal of approval from TFM. Just one question remains.........

Will Judge Levenson ever wear these footwear again? Stay tuned......

Linked to- Bright & Early, Perri Nelson, Webloggin,

Labels: ,

 
Listed on BlogShares