noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Knuckleheads of the Day award

Today's winners are the Doubletree Grand Key Resort in Key West Florida and Monroe County State Attorney Mark Kohl. They get the award for the following.

KEY WEST -- No criminal charges will be filed in the death of a 26-year-old tourist who was poisoned by carbon monoxide while staying at an upscale Key West resort during the Christmas holidays, prosecutors said Friday.

But the death of Thomas Lueders at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort is expected to result in a new state law: The Legislature passed a measure Friday mandating carbon monoxide detectors in all boiler rooms of public lodgings. Those detectors must be integrated with the fire alarm.



On Dec. 27, as Richard was taking a shower and his son was reading a book, carbon monoxide fumes seeped into their room, No. 416.

General Manager Steve Robbins found them, but it was too late to save Thomas. His father survived after treatment in Fort Myers.

A week earlier, Ohioans David Smith and two family members fell ill from carbon monoxide in the same room. They survived.

''Terrible mistakes appear to have been made that led to terrible consequences,'' Monroe County State Attorney Mark Kohl said in a statement.

``But those mistakes do not qualify as criminal.''

Assistant State Attorney Val Winter said a major reason not to prosecute was the initial conclusion by the Key West Fire Department that the Smith family was exposed to carbon monoxide during a long ferry ride before becoming ill.

In the Key West Police Department's report, David Smith said he told Robbins on Dec. 22 something was wrong in Room 416 and it should not be rented until the problem could be found.

Winter said the hotel purchased a carbon monoxide detector and conducted several tests, never finding unacceptable levels of the gas.


The state attorney's office emphasized that its decision does not mean there wasn't negligence.

The state fire marshal's report noted there were no required boiler inspections and several code violations.
Let me tell you what happened here. A hotel based their decision on whether to keep a room open solely based on the lost business that would have occurred. Screw customer safety. That's what happened here, the management of the Doubletree Grand Key Resort sacrificed a life for the almighty dollar.

The lazy ass prosecutor down there is little better. No boiler inspection and code violations are present. What does this prosecutor want, a slam dunk case only? Negligent homicide charges couldn't have been brought in this case? I'll give Monroe County State Attorney Mark Kohl and The Doubletree Grand Key Resort in Key West Florida a slam dunk, they are today's Knuckleheads of the Day. Anyone who thinks of staying at the Doubletree should heed this warning- You or your family could be dead too if you stay at that hotel in the future. How is that for a business referral?

Linked to- Cao, DragonLady, Dumb Ox, High Desert Wanderer, Is it Just me?, Jo, Perri Nelson, Pirate's Cove, Right Voices, Right Wing Nation, Third World County,

Labels: , , , ,

Listed on BlogShares