noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Did Nick Saban really reject a 50 millon dollar offer from Alabama?

From the Miami Herald-

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has turned down an offer from the University of Alabama that would have paid him $5 million per year and would have included a $7 million bonus.

No contract was officially drawn up because Saban politely held off any contact with the school through his Memphis-based agent Jimmy Sexton. But the school approached Sexton through various sources on at least two occasions.

''I'm sure they talked to Jimmy,'' Saban said Thursday. 'They called Jimmy and said, `Is Nick interested,' and Jimmy said, 'No.' And Jimmy asked me on several occasions and I said, `No, I'm interested in staying here.'

*****

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit spent the early part of this week in New York at the National Football Foundation ceremonies and spoke with several people who also told him Alabama had made Saban a $5 million a year offer.

''I've been told they offered him $7 million up front with a $5 million dollar annual salary and he turned it down. That's what I heard,'' Herbstreit told WQAM-560 Thursday morning. ``Again, I'm not Chris Mortensen and I don't like to break stories but that's what I was told.

``I was at the National Football Foundation dinner on Tuesday night at the Waldorf in New York and there were a lot of pretty distinguished gentlemen there and one thing led to another and I talked to somebody that I have a lot of respect for and he told me that Nick Saban had turned down the Alabama job.''
ESPN has reported all sorts of trades as 'done' over the years but which never materialized. The first I can remember was a Shawn Dunston trade to the New York Mets. So I believe Saban's version of what happened rather than ESPN's.

As for Saban, I wouldn't have missed him if he had left for Bama. I suspect his time in Miami won't be a particularly successful one. The team just has too many problems on the field and too poor personnel judgment in the team's front office. Team owner H Wayne Huzienga is much more likely to send Saban packing in 2 or 3 years than it is for the Miami Dolphins to go the The Super Bowl or even the AFC Championship game in that same period of time. IMHO.

Linked to- Basil's Blog, Bright & Early,

 
Listed on BlogShares