noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Jeb Bush and Fidel Castro

No we're not talking tag team wrestling or possible Presidential tickets but this interesting exchange. First from the Miami Herald

Castro called the governor ''the fat little brother in Florida'' and wondered if Bush had helped Luis Posada Carriles into the country, according to a transcript released Monday of the Nov. 17 address to University of Havana students, who erupted in laughter.

The Cuban leader didn't stop there.

'Forgive me for using the term `fat little brother' '' Castro said. ``It is not a criticism, rather a suggestion that he do some exercises and go on a diet, don't you think? I'm doing this for the gentleman's health.''

The governor's office wouldn't ''dignify this with a response,'' a spokesman said. In an e-mail, Bush declined Monday to discuss Castro's comments, saying questions about it were the product of a ``slow news day.''

Florida Cracker agrees it was a slow news day. I third that motion.

Governor Bush did reply more formally to Castro's remarks.

"I'm flattered and honored,'' Bush said with a smile, but then turned serious.

"I will take any criticism from Fidel Castro, of all people, as an honor given the fact that, you know, 8 million people, I believe, live on the island, 8 million people are repressed and they've been that way for 40 or 50 years.

"To be criticized by a man like that who has repressed people for such an extended period of time is a high honor,'' Bush added. ``He can call me whatever he wants.''

Good for you Governor for swiping back. However why don't you spend less time on despots 100 miles off Florida's shore and more time on this issue back at home.

Open Post- Right Wing Nation, Bright & Early, TMH's Bacon Bits, Is it just me, Stuck on Stupid, Outside the Beltway,

 
Listed on BlogShares