noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Tim Couch to play for the Miami Dolphins?

The former #1 NFL College Draft selection is supposedly talking with the Miami Dolphins about a tryout.

Couch played five years for the expansion Cleveland Browns and never lived up to his #1 pick status. I do think this could be a viable option for the Dolphins. Right now the team is contemplating giving Gus Ferrote the starting QB job. Ferrote is 34 years old and hasn't been an NFL starter since 1997! I don't see him as either a smart short or long-term solution. The alternative of AJ Feeley, I have mixed feelings about. The 2004 Dolphin season I don't think is a good gague of this QB's abilities. The Dolphins had way too many problems last year. On the other hand I think Miami was dumb trading away a 2nd round pick for Feeley.

I say give Couch a chance. What does Miami have to lose? Below is part of the Sun-Sentinel article.

DAVIE -- Quarterback Tim Couch, the overall No. 1 pick of the 1999 draft, confirmed Thursday that his agent and the Dolphins have talked but have not yet set a date for a workout.

Couch, 28, a free agent who was 22-37 as a starter with the expansion Browns during his first five seasons, signed with the Packers last year, hoping to become Brett Favre's successor.

However, after three mediocre exhibition games, the Packers released him on Sept. 5.

"[The Dolphins] would be perfect for me," said the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Couch, who recently got married and has lived in Fort Lauderdale for the past few years. "I'm not sure what role they would want me to play, but I'm open to competition."


Dolphins starting quarterback Gus Frerotte is 34, while backup A.J. Feeley is unproven.Couch, who pocketed a $625,000 signing bonus from the Packers, filed a grievance against them for releasing him while he was injured with a sore arm. He underwent shoulder and elbow surgery in February and reportedly received just under $100,000 as part of the settlement.

Couch, a former University of Kentucky first-team All-American, said his shoulder feels fine, but isn't yet 100 percent.

 
Listed on BlogShares