noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Irony

Some news out of Virginia.

YORKTOWN, Va. - A death row inmate whose case led to the Supreme Court's ban on executing the mentally retarded was scheduled to die after a jury found him mentally competent.

Daryl Atkins, 27, flashed a peace sign to his family and blew a kiss as he was led from the courtroom Friday after the verdict was read. The judge immediately scheduled a December execution date.

Three years ago, Atkins' case had led to the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling that declared executing the mentally retarded to be unconstitutional. The court, however, left it up to states to determine whether inmates are retarded.

The Virginia jury deliberated for 13 hours over two days before determining Atkins was not retarded.

If the jury had deemed Atkins retarded, he would have been spared execution and instead sentenced to life in prison for the robbery and slaying of an Air Force enlisted man over beer money.

I for one won't be shedding any tears over Mr. Atkins death. It is ironic he helped to create a landmark Supreme Court ruling but it won't apply to him. Good riddance.

Something has always bugged me too if one uses IQ tests as the criteria to rule someone retarded. Couldn't a criminal deliberately answer wrong to keep his score down? I haven't taken one of these tests in years so I am just thinking out loud. If someone can back me up or tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to read a comment.

Hat tip- Outside the Beltway

 
Listed on BlogShares