noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Homecoming for a Deserter

Charles Jenkins a sergeant in the US Army who defected to North Korea 40 years ago is back in the states for the first time in 40 years. He travelled to his native North Carolina for the purpose of seeing his ailing 91-year old mother.

Mr. Jenkins was courtmarialed for desertion and served his sentence. I just say let this man die in peace. He did something incredibly dumb forty years ago and paid for it.

The following AP article came from Yahoo news at- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050614/ap_on_re_us/us_deserter;_ylt=ArVaiJKhJ.RK6Idr9rt1ovus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2M2YzbmJmBHNlYwN1cw--

By JENNIFER KERR, Associated Press Writers

CHANTILLY, Virginia - Charles Jenkins, who deserted his U.S. Army unit and crossed into
North Korea in 1965, arrived Tuesday in the United States for his first visit in 40 years. Tearfully, he said he was happy to be back.


Jenkins arrived at Dulles International Airport here en route to North Carolina, where he planned to see his ailing 91-year-old mother. He was accompanied by his Japanese wife and two daughters.

On arrival, Jenkins and his family were whisked away by police, who tried to keep the news media away from him. Jenkins initially declined to speak to reporters, saying he was under contract, though he did not elaborate.

Later, before boarding a connecting flight to Richmond, Jenkins told The Associated Press: "I'm very glad to be here."

"After 40 years, I'm very happy to go to visit my mother and my family," he said, choking back tears.

"I'll be here only for a week and then I'm going back to Sado, Japan, to live with my dear wife" and daughters.

The frail 65-year-old was convicted in a court-martial and spent 25 days in a U.S. military jail in Japan last year.

 
Listed on BlogShares