noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Tim Mahoney meet Robert Redford

The new Congressman representing the Florida 16th says life in Congress isn't what it is made out to be. From the Palm Beach Post-

WASHINGTON — Rep. Tim Mahoney raised millions of dollars to win a seat in Congress, but now he says "it's not the greatest job" he's ever had.

A rancher and former owner of a financial services company who used to control his hours and set his own agenda, Mahoney said being a new member of the 435-member House of Representatives "is a big adjustment for somebody with my background."


Despite the difficulties, the Democrat from Palm Beach Gardens said, "it's an honor to represent the people of the 16th Congressional District, the greatest honor I've ever had in my life."

The district encompasses eight counties, including parts of Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie and Okeechobee.

Mahoney said his motivation for being in Congress is not "because of the attention I get from the press or from constituents, it's all about being able to deliver real results to people."

While some lawmakers thrive on what Mahoney called the "pomp and circumstance of the position," he said he would "be less-than-honest if I said that being able to tell you where I'm going to be every day for the next year is a fantastic experience for me," or that he relishes "10- or 14-hour days and working through all these issues."

Coming to Washington was a big adjustment, he said.

"Did I like being up here in 8-degree weather and living in a 600-square-foot apartment? No."

"The separation from my family and friends was very difficult, but I don't think I'm unique in that," Mahoney said.

"Between talking to my colleagues about which Lean Cuisine is the best and how to do my laundry, I think being away from family and separation from friends is really the hardest thing to do. It's tough," he said. "People think you take these jobs and that somehow it's an easy job. ... This is absolutely the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life."
I guess trying to keep a half million people happy and having to live and work about 1,000 miles apart have some drawbacks. However no one made Mahoney run for this office. Maybe the Congressman should have watched the movie, 'The Candidate'. It starred Robert Redford who runs against and defeats an incumbent Republican Senator from California. The last line in the movie(Spoken by Redford)- "What do we do now?"

Once you get there, reality sets in. The warped world of Washington.

Linked to- Bright & Early, Right Wing Nation, The World According to Carl,

Labels: ,

 
Listed on BlogShares