noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Charlie is right

On the unimportance of a same sex marriage ban in Florida. From The Sun-Sentinel-

TALLAHASSEE ยท Gov. Charlie Crist signaled Tuesday that he does not want the Republican Party of Florida spending any more money to get a proposed constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage on the 2008 ballot.

Crist, who is Florida's highest-ranking Republican, was asked whether he thought his party should contribute to a group gathering signatures for such a ballot measure, beyond the $300,000 it gave last year while former GOP Gov. Jeb Bush was still in office.

"Probably not," Crist said. The new governor said the GOP should concentrate on other issues.

"My feeling is, we've been focused in this new administration on such issues as property insurance reform, property tax reform, public safety issues, and I'm convinced those are the kind of issues the people of Florida want us to focus on," he said. "I think it would be appropriate for the party to do the same."


I agree with the Governor. This is an absolute waste of time by the State GOP when there are important issues to be resolved.

My own opinion deviates from the Republican(I'm a registered Democrat) and that of most conservative bloggers(Which I admit to being one, but of a moderate variety) position. I think Gay and Lesbian couples should get some kind of legal recognition for their relationships, if not be allowed to be married.

That said, I do prefer public opinion being changed and our legislature doing the work rather than courts forcing the issue. The later is only likely to cause resentment and not help the GLBT cause.

Linked to- Bright & Early, Outside the Beltway, Third World County,

Labels: , ,

 
Listed on BlogShares