noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hurricane Season is back

Yes June 1st marks the beginning. How many storms will there be this year?

TFM survived Wilma last year. My storm blogging caused one of my biggest days for readers, thanks to some big bloggers linking to me. I'd rather get 1,000 readers a day here by other means.

Besides Wilma, we had Francis and Jeanne in 2004. Here is some of what I wrote last year at the beginning of hurricane season.


My parents moved to Florida in 1976. I have lived in Florida since then with the exception of the time I spent in the Navy. Till 2004, a hurricane had never brought hurricane force conditions to the part of Florida where I lived. There were a few close calls, David in 1979, Andrew in 92, Erin in 95 but all passed at least 80 miles away. A few years ago a tropical storm named Irene came through south florida suddenly. So suddenly we didn't board up, but rather went to see a show in Ft. Lauderdale! Weird is the best description for the Irene experience. The worst tropical system to hit my area was a weak tropical storm named Gordon that seemed to have the mind of a wandering drunk. It loitered, veered, reversed directions for its 5 day sojourn in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic while dumping rain on us for 2 days. There was very little wind so we fared well.

I have to admit I had grown complacent. Hurricanes had missed South Florida for years, and I believed they would continue to do so. Pointing out that every tropicl system that passed north of Puerto Rico missed this part of Florida. That would change labor day weekend of 2004.
All complacency is gone after being through three storms in a 14-month period. I'm hoping for 28 more hurricane free years, but that is as likely as TFM becoming the next big blogger on the internet. Florida residents will just have to do the best we can. And keep an eye on the Weather Channel.

Note- I'll have to change my blog's description in a month. July 1st marks 30 years since my family moved into our former home in Lighthouse Point. I'll then be a resident of 30 years, instead of being almost.

Open Post- Bright & Early, Third World County,

 
Listed on BlogShares