noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Egads

From the Sun-Sentinel website-

KEY WEST, Fla. -- A 13-year-old boater who authorities said hit and killed a 6-year-old snorkeler, then sped away, was charged Wednesday with vessel homicide.

Christopher J. Ruiz drove his 18-foot skiff over Charlie Smith, who was snorkeling Monday off Key West with his father and a sibling next to their motorboat, said Lt. Steve Acton of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Ruiz crashed into the motorboat, sinking it, and paused before taking off, Acton said.

*****

Authorities are still investigating whether Ruiz was operating the skiff legally. Under Florida law, anyone younger than 21 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass a boater safety course or have an adult onboard.
I read an earlier report of this story a few days ago. My condolences to the Smith family. Having lost a child myself, I know some of the agony they are now suffering.

Anyone notice what is odd about this article? The juvenile responsible for the accident is named. I know this is an AP report, but why is the Sun-Sentinel the protector of children releasing the name? I mean they have been so protective of ones accused of crimes in the past. Could there be double standards in the Florida MSM or is this just journalistic carelessness?

Open Post- Right Wing Nation, Bright & Early,

 
Listed on BlogShares