noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Are beards in?

A Paul Martin who is quoted in a NYT article seems to think so. The title of the article is Paul Bunyan, Modern Day Sex Symbol.

LAST December John Martin sat in on a focus group for a trend-forecasting company at which young professionals were asked about their grooming habits. Mr. Martin found he had nothing useful to contribute. His shaving regimen involves the use of a razor about as frequently as the seasons change.

"Everyone else was chiming in about the products they use," said Mr. Martin, the advertising director for Vice, a lad magazine based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. "I was totally mystified. I blanked."

Mr. Martin's idea of a style symbol, seriously, is Ulysses S. Grant, whose beard he came to admire after watching the 2003 Civil War-era drama "Cold Mountain." Two years ago, when he began experimenting with different beard styles, which he described as ranging from neat to burly to unkempt, his facial hair was an expression of individuality in a tide of metrosexual conformity. Now 10 of his 15 co-workers at Vice wear full, bushy beards. In that, they vie with the pro-facial-hair contingent of an editorial rival, Spin, where a rash of new beards has broken out.

"It's a sign of the times," Mr. Martin said. "People are into beards right now."


I don't know if they are in or not. From the people I see, I would be inclined to say no.

However I been sporting a beard most of the time since the summer of 2001. I had a moustache for many years, starting back in the 80's but a beard never. My wife isn't fond of the facial hair. I find caring for a beard easier than shaving. Especially since I tend to cut easy.

Hat tip- Ann Althouse whose view on beards is not all that different from my DW. US Grant is handsome?
Open Post- Bullwinkle Blog, Samantha Burns, Right Wing Nation, Cao's Blog,

 
Listed on BlogShares