noembed noembed

Commentary, sarcasm and snide remarks from a Florida resident of over thirty years. Being a glutton for punishment is a requirement for residency here. Who am I? I've been called a moonbat by Michelle Malkin, a Right Wing Nut by Daily Kos, and middle of the road by Florida blog State of Sunshine. Tell me what you think.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Lumping them all together

I'm not taking offense with this story for how it groups all Asians together, but the writer's ignorance or laziness does bug me. Not all Asians celebrate their own new Years. I know this from not just learning about Asian culture but because I'm married to a Filipina. The Philippines celebrates the traditional Christian New Year's of January 1st.

So why does Ms. Pedicini start her story this way?

Asians across Central Florida on Sunday celebrated the start of a new year -- the year of the dog.

The article went on to detail the Chinese and Vietemease New Year's celebrations. That's just two of the many nationalities on the Asian continent.

Further on Ms. Pedicini comments on someone wearing traditional Asian dress. Does the skirt or dresses my wife wears invariabley to her job qualify as this.

What I'm saying is Ms. Pedicini is wrong grouping all Asians in one group. By doing so you lead people to stereotype one race of people for their culture is not either that simple or monolithic. Say Chinese and Vietemease next time.

Open Post- Bright & Early, Basil's Blog, Jo's Cafe,

 
Listed on BlogShares