The Knuckleheads of the Day award
Today's winners are The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Tampa Tribune, Bradenton Herald and WFLA-TV News Channel 8. They won their lawsuit against the state of Florida to be able to view the autopsy photos of Carlie Brucia. I blogged about this in an earlier post here.
Are you happy now you won? Their win shows them to be disgusting slime little better than the child molestor. They feel a sick need to see these photos. What the @#%^! for??? To uphold the first ammendment. A girl is dead, a family has been put into a private hell for the rest of their lives, and you need to stand on a principle. What you sickos need to gloat over the pictures of a dead body? You can't publish them, so I got to assume you have a sick urge to see them. You four reporters are child molestors. Feel good now?
Let me note also the Tampa Tribune doesn't even note their victory. Too ashamed to tell your readers you're as sick as child molestors? You ought to be afraid.
For having the same sick urges as child molestors, The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Tampa Tribune, Bradenton Herald and WFLA-TV News Channel 8 are today's Knuckleheads of the day.
Open Post- Point Five, Jo's Cafe, Wizbang, Right Wing Nation, TMH's Bacon Bits, Is it just me?, Uncooperative Blogger, Stop the ACLU, One Big Dog, Adam's Blog, Samantha Burns, Bright & Early,
Florida's attorney general has ended his legal battle to bar the news media from viewing photos and videotapes used as evidence against the man who killed 11-year-old Carlie Brucia.
Charlie Crist said Thursday that he withdrew a request asking the U.S. Supreme Court to weigh in on the matter, The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported.
Reporters already had viewed the evidence, which included photos and a videotape, but Crist had said he was hoping to set a precedent for sealing similar evidence in future trials.
''It became a moot point,'' Crist said. 'As a practical matter, you balance how much you continue to spend taxpayers' dollars.''
Last month, jurors found Joseph P. Smith, 39, guilty of kidnapping, raping and strangling Carlie.
The jury recommended that he be sentenced to death. Circuit Judge Andrew Owens ultimately will issue the sentence, most likely next month, but under state law he must give the jury's recommendation great weight.
During the trial, Owens sealed graphic crime scene photographs and a videotape of the 11-year-old's body to keep them from public view. The judge cited concern for the privacy of Carlie's family and state laws governing the release of autopsy photos.
Attorneys for the media appealed, and when the judge lost the argument in District Court, the attorney general joined the battle. The appeals delayed the release of the evidence until the jury had already convicted Smith. Crist then asked the U.S. Supreme Court to take up the issue.
After district and appellate court rulings, four reporters were allowed to view the images but not to copy them.